Sunday, March 12, 2017

[Updated] Coming August 10, 2017: Lippy Legs & All – My Life with Lipedema

Scheduled for August 10, 2017 release.
You can pre-order your copy from the publisher here:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/710509

===========================

For years, I watched as my calves legs grew larger, bruised easily, and became more painful. Even bumping against a chair or the corner of a wall would send shockwaves of pain through my calves and leave me with huge bluish-purple bruises.

I knew something was wrong, but what could it be? I thought it was a simple case of edema or general swelling, but keeping my legs elevated and taking diuretic pills had no effect. In fact, they only became worse.

In 2014, after several attempts to locate a physician who would help me figure out what was wrong, I was lucky enough to get a diagnosis. I had Lipedema, a genetic disease I'd never heard of before. It's a mystery disease with no known cure thus far.

Not widely discussed, Lipedema is rare and only affects about 11% of women. Few doctors are able to recognize the symptoms, nor have they been exposed to information about the condition and how it relates to the all-important lymphatic system.

LIPPY LEGS & ALL is the story of my life (thus far) with Lipedema. I'll discuss, in detail, what I've learned about the disease, how it's permanently changed me both physically and mentally, and why I'm determined to bring awareness to this condition so women who may suffer from Lipedema can get the essential diagnosis and treatment they deserve.

Without a proper diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation, a Lipedema sufferer can face a bleak future of wheelchair-bound immobility or, worse yet, amputation of their limbs. No woman deserves either of those things; if I can cast a wider spotlight on Lipedema through the publication of this book, I will.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Bev.

    Thank you for your blog. I too have been diagnosed with lipidema. The first signs of the disease was in August of 2009. I developed two large swollen glands close to my ankle bone at the bottom of both legs. I asked my doctor what they were and was advised, it's normal. The first thing I would share with women and those suffering with abnormal swelling is to know your body.

    I am very attentive to small changes on my body especially those dismissed by doctors because there is always a root cause to any issue. As time went on, the lower part of my left leg and foot began to swell. I then went to a podiatrist and she pacified it saying it was just minor swelling and advised me to wear compression hose.


    I've worn the compression hose every day, even bought them in different colors; needeless to say, over time, as the swelling gets worse, the doctors now say if you lose a few pounds that will help. What they don't know is when you lose the pounds you look even more abnormal because the edema continues. It's NOT a WEIGHT Issue. It's a lymphatic disease issue.

    My husband and I moved to Pittsburgh, PA two years ago and I learned there is a Lymphedema Clinic here at the Forbes Hospital, thanks be to God they were covered by my insurance. I have an awesome doctor, she took the time to listen to me, explained the difference between lipedema and lymphedema. She and her staff went to bat for me with the insurance company; where not only was I approved for the FlexTouch Compression Therapy system, they covered it at 100% along with two pair full lower body compression hose. My band is around my ankle just where the leg and foot meet, exactly where the two swollen glands initially appeared in 2009.


    Men are also affected by this ugly disease, if you ignore it, it will only get worse. It will not go away. I work with a gentlman at my job and I noticed he has it. One day I addressed him because his legs were so swollen it looked like they were going to burst; needless to say, just about an hour later, my supervisor said to him, look your leg is bleeding. Of course, I referred him to my doctor. The individual has to be aware of the dangers and the importance of getting a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

    This disease is real. You can lose your leg and or your life due to heart failure if not managed correctly.

    Doctors and the world in general need to be educated on this disease and what to look for at the beginning stages so patients can understand how to prevent it from progressing to amputation and immobility.

    Once again Bev, thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete