Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Lipedema is NOT the same as being overweight or obese



As I told my friend, Jade, who shared this on her wall:

I just want to mention that while there are obese patients, there are those who have Lipoedema (Lipedema), like I do, which is a rare, incurable disease that is genetic in nature. Not everyone who is overweight is merely obese.

With Lipoedema, it does not matter how much you diet or exercise...it's NOT the same as obesity. I was diagnosed in 2014 and the only thing I can do is manage it with Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) therapy and compression garments...until they find a cure, that is.

Only 11% of women have Lipoedema, and they're often mistaken for simply being overweight or obese...which is NOT the case. I finally had a female doctor listen to my concerns and who sent me for a diagnosis. The male doctor I had previously totally dismissed my concerns that something was terribly wrong with my lower limbs. Needless to say, I dropped the male doctor and am grateful I found a female doctor who at least investigated my concerns and discovered that I had a rare, incurable, genetic disease.

And thanks to the ACA (and President Obama), I was able to get the diagnosis, compression garments, and MLD therapy I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment